Great Lake Trail Kinloch, New Zealand
Posted on November 26, 2015 / 507 Listing verified as genuine
The Great Lake Trail is a 71km grade 3 trail composed of six links (trails) which can be broken down into three sections. On the western side of Lake Taupo is a 30 km section (Waihora & Waihaha links) and on the northern side is a further 41 km of track in two sections (Orakau & K2K links and the W2K & Headland links).
- The shelter on the Kinloch Domain has a large map and can be the starting point for W2K and K2K tracks. It has a bike wash facility and plenty of car parks.
- IMPORTANT: There is no link between the end of the Waihora link (Kotukutuku Stream in Waihora Bay) and the Orakau or K2K links. A prearranged boat transfer is required to get between these areas or back to Kinloch.
- The Great Lake Trail is a two way trail but for the best riding or walking experience, ride or walk in a west to east direction. Cycle the whole track in two or three days or break it up and choose the sections/links you want to enjoy.
- Transport & tour providers are available to help with transport logistics.
- The trail can be used year round as the free draining pumice soil surface means that even in wet weather it is rideable.